What Is A Challenged Book?• A challenged book is a book that a person or group is attempting to remove from the libraries or schools because of objections to the book’s content.
What Is A Banned Book?• A banned book has been successfully removed from library shelves or school classrooms.
Classics That Were Banned
- The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
- The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
- The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne
- To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Commonly Challenged YA/Children's Books in the US
- Harry Potter series by JK Rowling
- Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause
- Blubber by Judy Bloom
- The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
- Go Ask Alice by Anonymous
- The Witches by Roald Dahl
This year Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi was removed from Chicago Public Schools. The Kids Right to Read an initiative of the National Coalition Against Censorship is fighting it's removal. I read this book for the first time my freshman year of college and I wish that I had read it earlier! So in honor of banned books week and in support of the author I will be re-reading Persepolis!